“Krepat, ma ne molat!” (Die but never give up) – is the motto that summarizes all the best that Rijeka Carnival represents. Despite its long history, a cheerful, stubborn, uncontrollable but also critical Carnival spirit shows no tiredness, but thrives from year to year, growing through a new generation of Carnival participants, feeding the events with new ideas equal to those of its long tradition. And this tradition is actually much longer than first thought. There is evidence of a Carnival in this region going back many years, which is not strange considering its critical spirit.
There is a prohibition document from 1449 – a provision of the City Council that prohibits the covering of the face with a mask (with the exception of guests of the masked ball in Kaštel), which at that time was severely punished. The aim of that provision was to maintain public order and prevent a free criticism of the government. But history testifies that the Carnival has overcome all the obstacles, and has become the festival of joy, and humour that it is today, but often critically commenting on current events, and a possibility for anyone to be, at least for a short period, what he wants.
13 February 2015 / Day 1
- Afternoon arrival at the Hotel, meeting with group leader’s and festival organizers, discussing the programmes of the next day.
- Dinner in the Hotel.
14 February 2015 / Day 2
- Breakfast int he Hotel. Optional program: Rijeka Tour, With a breathtaking view of Rijeka and the Kvarner, discover the legend of the Nazareth Tabernacle, the Chapel of Votive Gifts and the Franciscans at the well known Trsat Sanctuary. The round consists of visiting Trsat Sanctuary and the Castle.Afterwards,visit to the hectic downtown of the modern city and its most important historical and cultural monuments. The round consists of seeing Kosi toranj (The Leaning Tower ), Katedrala Sv. Vida (St. Vitus’ Cathedral), Kobler’s Square, the City Tower and Korzo (the pedestrian zone).
- During the city walk, visitors will be able to see monumental Secession buildings, eminent people’s palaces built in classicist style as well as the Croatian National Theatre. Tour of the monumental theatre building is with a local expert guide where visitors will have a chance to admire monumental works of renowned world masters of the 19th century such as brothers Gustav and Ernst Klimt and Franz Matsch. Nearby, there is a vivid market place with its hectic Mediterranean spirit.
- Afternoon performance in Rijeka (main city promenade). Dinner in the Hotel.
15 February 2015 / Day 3
- Breakfast in the Hotel – Optional programmes.
- Enjoying the main event of the carnival from 12am. Grand finale of Rijeka Carnival celebrated with big Carnival paradeRijeka Carnival, one of the biggest carnivals in the world, ended the right way – it was spectacular. Accumulated energy exploded this week in Rijeka in countless colors, characters, humorous comments of current events and imaginative creations. All of that was done by 117 carnival groups with about 10.100 participants who throughout the year planed, sewed costumes and built floats, 81 of them this year. And when the last mask is removed, plans for the next year are already under way.
16 February 2015 / Day 4
- Breakfast – Departure of participants.